Bourke’s Luck Potholes in Mpumalanga, South Africa

Bourke’s Luck Potholes in Mpumalanga, South Africa, is a natural water features that indicates the beginning of the Blyde River Canyon. These swirling whirlpools have formed over centuries as the Treur River plunges into the Blyde River causing waterborne sand and rock to grind large and cylindrical potholes into the bedrock of the river.

Bourke’s Luck Potholes are named after a gold digger, Tom Burke, who staked a claim nearby.  Although his claim did not produce a single ounce of gold, he correctly predicted that large gold deposits would be found in the area.

The photographs below are in the order they were taken during our exploration of this famous natural tourist attraction.

Have a great weekend.

57 thoughts on “Bourke’s Luck Potholes in Mpumalanga, South Africa

  1. There are similar cylindrical “potholes” in an area off the Mohawk Trail in Massachusetts in shades of gray, rather than brown. My favorite picture in this group is the one with the waterfall in it. Such a different color palette from the one I’m used to and so beautiful.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. While not quite the same your ‘holes’ remind me of the lava tubs I saw in Maui, Hawai’i.

    (What is the state’s official spelling, “Hawaii” or “Hawai’i”? It’s neither. “Officially,” in the Hawaiian language, it’s actually spelled with an okina (‘)[1], not an apostrophe (‘). An okina is a glottal stop….but they do look similar…at least on a not specialized keypad.) Hawaiʻi (the tail points up not down like an apostrophe. Who knew?)

    Liked by 1 person

          1. Oh… the ‘glottal’ Key? I don’t think my lap top has one. Not straight up like a reverse water droplet… I have left and right single (`) (‘) apostrophes… unless the right one ` is supposed to be the glottal stop?

            I know you can find some symbols by doing a control/what ever key you press… but I don’t have a list explaining all those ‘functions’ like how to get a real copyright symbol.


          2. I’m not sure. The one I copied from a language translation site showed an up tick tear drop shape. But it is possible.

            The glottal stop or glottal plosive is a type of consonantal sound used in many spoken languages, produced by obstructing airflow in the vocal tract or, more precisely, the glottis. The symbol in the International Phonetic Alphabet that represents this sound is ⟨ʔ⟩. That doesn’t look like the symbol I found between the two i’s. It looked more up and down with a bulb at the bottom. But with limited symbols, unless you have a special key board – you do with what you have.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s